Thursday 4 October 2012

How to paint a door!

Hello again!

It's been ages since I last wrote but since Decorex, Focus 12, 100% Design etc, I felt it was time to catch up with you!

Can you believe I'm thinking about Christmas already? Yep, I hate gardening in the cold so I figured if i tackle the front garden now, spruce up the entrance and paint the front door it's a nice beginning already.

Then it hit me! What's the best way to paint my front door? What colour? I'm in love with vibrant blues and this is the photo that inspired me to carry out my front door make over!

I admit, I like it because I'm a sucker for pink flower, I'm a girl, what can I say? Would it be too much to carry it through inside the house too, I wonder? Others have managed!

Well then, how do you paint a door?Here's how!

1. Protect: cover the floor, remove all door knobs and handles and mask off where the door frame meets the wall; Lightly sand new wood and apply knotting solution followed by primer. Doors that have been painted before (like mine) can be sanded and sugar soaped; Wipe down with a lint-free cloth dampened with white spirit to remove dirt.

2. Prepare: apply a layers of undercoat with a 50mm brush to preen tit absorbing too much of the paint. When dry, lightly sand and wipe down as before.

3. Flat Focus: to paint a flat door, select a flat brush adn work in small sections from the left-hand corner across adn down, overlapping by a thrid to avoid misses. Flollow the grain of the door and never overload the paintbrush.

4. Panel Focus: for panelled doors start with the panels first, working from the inside outwards, then change to a 50mm angled brush for the mouldings. Paint the flat areas with the flat brush, starting with the inner verticals, then the horizontals and lastly the two long outer verticals.

5. Touch Up: Lastly, paint the doorframe with the smaller angled brush. Standard oil-based paint needs 24hrs to dry before a second coat can be applied. Don't forget to clean your brushes when you finish!

Once all's done, open a bottle of wine and relax!!

No comments: